Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I QUIT !

I finally give up. Game over as my son Bryan says....After building, racing and enjoying my hot rod for years I am ready to admit I can't do what I used to.
In my earlier post you may remember I recently put a new motor in the truck and have been working the bugs out....the bugs won.
No time, no patience, stress I don't need. So tonight I waved the white flag. I am sure I will work on it again and soon, but I have one of the best friends ever and he has been so good to me over the years.....a fellow drag racer.
This guy gives me more grief than both my ex -wives, my lovely wife and every old girlfriend I can think of...24/7 nagging, teasing, belittling, in general a perfect ass towards me. That is, unless it's quiet and no one else is around. In which case he shares his private thoughts on life and happens to have a heart the size of Texas. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people take advantage of his kindness and talents when it comes to cars or anything else for that matter.
My wife knows his ring tone on my cell phone ( which I purposely made the most obnoxious one I could find :-) and when it goes off she either groans and rolls her eyes or starts singing " Secret Lover" !
Anyway to cut to the chase , he is a one in a million kind of guy who most people never get to know in any depth. Fortunately, for me, we have a friendship I think we both value a lot. Either of us would do anything the other asked if we possibly could. After irritating the other as much as possible of course...
He has seen my brother with PD and he has more of an understanding of where I am going than nearly anyone else except my wife and my family. And he still makes fun of me for shaking which I know is all in fun. The other day a mutual friend of ours made some crack about me moving at a snails pace....in a large group of guys hanging around the race shop. My close buddy shot me a glance and later told me it really ticked him off because our mutual friend has not even figured out there is a reason for my stooped shuffle / shake. Secretly defensive and protective of me...kind of nice.
So I will work on the hot rod again. But my buddy has already agreed to finish the de-bugging , tuning etc. I will make him take some form of payment because I refuse to take advantage of his friendship. But it is nice to know that someone other than family has my back ya know ? How many people do you meet in your lifetime that you know will be there for you ?
One of the funniest things we have laughed about happened right after I was diagnosed with PD. We were talking about me one day having to use a hoveround, one of those electric scooters....and he said if it ever came to that he would fix one up that would be so fast it would need wheelie bars. And he would do it too.
So tonight I will sleep a little better knowing that sooner or later, together, we will find all the bugs and fix them. What a guy....
By the way, if you ever read this .....you still owe me two dinners. See ya at the races !

No comments: