Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I Can't Believe I'm This Poor !

It's all about where you've been .......

This is a two part post. In order to really get the full effect you must also read my wife's blog titled Life with Shaky and her latest post, I can't believe I'm this Rich !

The story begins the other night when my wife and I were discussing money, bills and the current economic downturn in this country. I complained that we were just barely scraping by these days. We have had numerous conversations over the last year about how high gas prices are going, how it affects the price of almost everything else and how difficult it seems to make ends meet anymore.
Actually, we have taken some drastic steps over the past year or so to try and become debt free with the exception of mortgage and normal household expenses and we are close to achieving that goal.
BUT, you have to understand that I am a worrier. In fact if I got paid by the hour for worrying, all our bills would be paid and we would have a big savings account !
Anyway, as I lamented the cost of living and our barely scraping by in my eyes, she was laughing ! At about the same time we both said what a great idea for a blog post....opposite viewpoints on one of the big issues every couple must learn to solve !
You can read about her perspective as I noted above.
My frustration is more based on the current economy and gas prices. I make decenet money. And as she says in her post we actually ARE NOT just scraping by. But ten years ago, the kind of money I make would have been enough to go, do, buy , whatever I wanted.
I hate the fact that I have to plan, manage and execute carefully when it comes to money. I do that enough at work ya know ?
I hate the fact that traveling abroad is now dangerous and outrageously expensive.
I hate that I can't spend $100 on whatever I decide I want without making sure it won't run me short on a bill.
The UP side of this post ?
I talk to people every day who have NOT managed their money well. I have friends who make bad decisions in spending or who made bad decisions in the past and are most certainly going to suffer the consequences in the near future.
The reality is this ....we don't just scrape by really. My beautiful wife is a lot of things. Talented writer, wonderful mother and wife, fun, witty, strong, very smart and best of all, she keeps me in check when I worry too much.
We own a nice home on the lake, no big thing, needs some things here and there.
We have four cars all paid for with a million miles on three of them. The fourth one is at the top of my blog and I guess I don't know anyone that is scraping by and owns and drives a 7 second hot rod.
We have cell phones, cable TV, internet, food to eat and clothes to wear.
I guess it's true, perspective is everything. Our two perspectives, while on opposite ends of the spectrum, always seem to keep us on balance.
So, even when I lament about just barely scraping and feeling poor , I am actually rich beyond compare...............because there's you in my life.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks, babe!
We are rich beyond compare, because we have been so blessed in so many ways!

Unknown said...

Allow me to share a short story about a conversation a father had with his son that I got from a friend. I was inspired reading it and see what opens up for you.

One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.

On their return from their trip, the father asked his son.

“How was the trip?”

“It was great, Dad.”

“Did you see how poor people live?” The father asked.

”Oh yeah,” said the son.

”So, tell me, what you learned from the trip?”

The son answered, “I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us; they have friends to protect them.”

The boy’s father was speechless. Then his son added, “Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are.”

Isn’t perspective, or point of view a wonderful thing? Contemplate what would happen if you are grateful for everything you have, instead of worrying about what you don’t have. Peace of mind.

Henry David Thoreau once said, “The man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.”

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.