Tuesday, April 15, 2008

CALM, COOL AND COLLECTED......ALMOST

As you can probably guess, I am a car nut. Have been all my life. In specific, I love drag racing and high horsepower Chevrolet engines. Yes, that is me driving the bright yellow drag truck a few years ago. I still own it. As a matter of fact I have just finished putting a new engine in it. Still working out a few bugs....
This past weekend I took it for a short test drive in the neighborhood and when I returned , my tremor was off the charts and I commented to my son that driving it made me so nervous anymore that I should probably sell it.
It's not the first time he and I had this discussion but this time he took time to question me more closely.How can something I love doing and have been comfortable doing my whole life make you nervous he wondered ? Good question....
I made the same comment about selling the hot rod to my best friend, Jr. , who is also afflicted with the drag race bug and he told me it was all in my head, get over it he said....

Well, all this talk made me wonder ....how can I accurately explain to people what I am feeling ?
It was obvious to me that two important people in my life DID NOT understand...So, what to do....Ask my wife of course. If you read her blog you already know she is a great writer, communicator and very smart. I was not disappointed.
She immediately pointed out that anything that gets my adrenaline pumping makes my tremors much worse. When my tremor is worse, I get stressed even more and around and around we go until the adrenaline slows down in about fifteen minutes. I knew this was true because it doesn't have to be something unpleasant in order for my adrenaline to pump and the tremors to kick in full force. Use your imagination to think of something pleasant that may get my adrenaline pumping...:-)

After having my sweetie explain the obvious to me I realized that my son and my friend did me a huge favor in forcing me to examine the real issue. I am not using the right description in telling people how the tremors feel. I am not nervous driving my hot rod, only pumped up. The same rush I used to get driving and racing fast cars now produces an ugly side effect....tremors. But it isn't because I am nervous. The tremors may make me appear nervous and I certainly get irritated with the tremors but it isn't nerves.
I drove it again today and felt better. It's loud, it shakes the earth, small children are scared of it and guys all up and down the road give me a thumbs up when they see me out in it. Teen age boys take pictures of it on their cell phone cameras and it generally draws a crowd in a parking lot. If you would like to see more of my hot rod, you can go to www.bhsbees.com/keith.

I know sometime in the near future I won't be able to drive it and that will be a sad day. But until then, keep an eye out for the cops would you ?

No comments: