Friday, April 4, 2008

How long ?

I recently got a comment from another blogger with PD that was very kind and sincere. She said my post "Who is the victim in all this anyway" had struck a nerve and like everyone I like positive attention. It's nice to know someone got something out of what I wrote.
Tonight however instead of medical issues or stories about my past or even present , I want to vent my frustration so bear with me....
How long ?
I suppose everyone wants to know if they are honest. Even children in their limited knowledge of the world around them still ask, How long before we get there ? How long before dinner is ready? How long before bedtime? We all grow up wondering how long ?
As we become young adults, our questions change.
How long before I meet someone and marry....have kids....buy a house....get that promotion...
As we become middle aged....how long before the house is paid for .... before I can retire.....before I become a grand parent ...
If we are blessed as my Dad has been ( He's 92) we might ask how long before I die ?
That's natural.
Unfortunately, some never see the end coming or it comes too soon. For anyone diagnosed with a medical condition such as PD ( but not just PD, any chronic, degenerative disease ) the questions about " How Long" multiply like bunny rabbits.
I know, it's probably better not to ask or be able to find out, but like a child riding in a car we can no more help wondering than we can help taking our next breath.
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to know about dying. I know all I need to know about that. I will die. When , where and how is not up to me and just knowing that I will die and accepting that fact enables me to live each day in a better way.
No, what I am wanting is more complex....How long before PD will force me to retire....stop picking up my beautiful baby girl...
How long before I get a good idea of how fast it is progressing ? How long before I can't type ....drive....drive a hot rod .....
How long ?
It's apparently the question we are born to ask all our lives and can never fully get answered.
Personally, it's particularly frustrating to me because of my personality. From what I know, have read and see in other PD patients it may be another five to ten years before see more , really serious issues...I sure would like to know.
But you know what ? I guess it isn't going to be tonight, tomorrow or next week and likely not next month or even next year....so the best thing I can do is live while I can right ?
Glad you guys helped me work that out, Thanks !
Until next time,
Shaky

1 comment:

Mary said...

How long 'til Friday night??
hehehehe!
(wink)