Wednesday, July 2, 2008

SO MUCH MORE - CONTINUED

June was a busy month for us. We took a long awaited real vacation to Virginia Beach and had a nice family time. Made some of those old time looking photo's which are really cool looking....celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary while we were there. Seems like forever but in the best possible way sweetie !
As soon as we got back I spent an hour on the go kart track with a bunch of 20 somethings- a guy that used to work for me was getting married and he started his bachelor party off with renting the kart track at VIR in Danville for all the party attendees which included my son. There was a lot of trash talking about who could outdrive whom between my son and I leading up to this event.
Let me tell you- I GOT HAMMERED !
There were fourteen of us and I had the slowest lap time at 57 seconds. My son of course had the second fastest time at around 47 seconds...He showed me that day that all the work he put into his road car and all the time he has spent learning to drive curves instead of a straight line like old Dad, all of that became real for me that day. I was already so proud of his mechanical aptitude beyond measure. I knew he was a pretty good road course driver but I didn't realize just how good until I saw him do it in the go kart.
To my defense, I am about 100 pounds heavier than most of those kids and also, the lap sheet gave average lap times of all your laps and when you look at those times I was in the middle somewhere. Meaning I drove the course HARD every lap even though it took all I had in me to do it , others ran a few good laps and took it easy. When I compete at anything, there is only one speed- WFO. Same approach to PD- full speed ahead. A friend of mine told me to hang in there today- to which I replied " It (PD) will have to come and get me because I ain't giving up "
The next week after vacation my wife had obligated us to go to Richmond to support a guy with YOPD who was motorcycling around the country to raise money for PD research. We went, me not expecting much but boy did I get a surprise. Not only did the press cover the event, they swamped us taking photo's and interviews. Partly because we drove an hour and a half to support this but mainly because I wore a shirt that had SHAKY on the front and my wife's shirt said I'M WITH SHAKY.....Everyone wanted to know where they could get them. We made the front page of the Richmond paper -local section, made ALOT of new friends and I am sure we will be back in Richmond before it's over with...
If you want to read about the motorcyle guy here is his website- www.rideagainstparkinsons.org

It got me to thinking- If he can raise $10K riding around on a scooter - as many people as I know, I should be able to do that too....let me have some feedback on that would you ?

Anyway, it's late and I am heading off to bed. We have a new baby in the house - NO we are not pregnant...foster child from Haiti here on a medical visa for surgery. Here's how this goes:

ME - skeptical, cautious and reserved
MY WIFE - enthusiastic and ready to go
ME- humbled and learning another lesson

More on this next time !

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hadn't been on to read much lately, but I got caught up today. I had a blast that day at VIR! I think I may get a group of people together and rent the track out for another hour at some point this fall. We'll see what happens...