Wednesday, July 2, 2008

MISTRESS, MOWING AND SO MUCH MORE

WOW, my last post was in early May- long time, sorry to my one loyal reader (DP) :-)



I ended my last post saying I would tell you about my mistress next time so I guess I better keep some kind of continuity....of course it's a car. For all the years and cars, trucks and motorcycles and even boats I have bought sold and traded there is one in particular that stands out. The 1969 Camaro is far and away my all time favorite. I have owned three or four of them and it was also the very first car I ever owned. The last one was sold in the early to mid 80's before the prices of these cars went stupid. I bought that last one for $1800- sold it for $3600 and thought I was pretty savvy. Today, the same car in that condition would bring nearly $20K...

Over the years I have conditioned myself to accept that I would never be able to buy another one prices what they are...but in my last post I noted that the yellow truck got traded for another 1969 Camaro. A basket case that still ran me more than what I sold the last one for ...forurnately I could trade and get some cash to boot.
So there you are- my mistress is a 1969 Camaro for the next few years. I am telling folks that this is my last project. Most don't believe me or don't want to discourage me, but it likely is the last car I will build. You can watch my progress at www.bhsbees.com/keith
Anyway, about that grass mowing - what is so special about that ?
On Fathers Day , I finished fixing up my old riding mower which is still better than my Dad's antique riding mower. I took it to my Dad's and my son helped me install a battery and the next time Dad mowed his grass, I helped on my old mower. I actually like mowing grass you see. And I have good memories of mowing with my Dad when I was a teenager. There was just something very special about the two of us (him at 92) running around his yard mowing together. After all, he taught me to mow and he is still teaching me stuff today , when I listen...which I am much better at now that I am older. Anyway, it was a Hallmark moment that no one else likely can understand and I wanted to write about.
The other day I went by and he was getting ready to mow again. Guess which mower he used ? The one I fixed up for him. I love it when a plan comes together....

No comments: