Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Glimpse into the mind.....

I recently reconnected with an old friend of mine via Facebook. Joel and I worked together about 8 or 9 years ago. We were both "bouncers" at one of the largest night clubs on the east coast. Joel was the head bouncer. Young, buff, cocky in a quiet confident way and experienced. Me ? Older, not buff, the inexperienced new guy. Not confident in any way about being a bouncer. I really didn't know what I was doing or what I was getting myself into....
I only knew -
1) I was newly single
2) I was bored and lonely
3) I wanted to do something fun and exciting instead moping around at home

And so it began.
White collar sales manager by day.....Patrick Swayze in Road House at night. Well, maybe not quite that bad but sometimes it got pretty wild. My.....the stories I could tell ...back to my point.

When Joel and I chatted on Facebook we were remembering our adventures as bouncers and as the chat continued, he told me that I was "bad assed" back in the day. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't saying I was mean, tough, or violent. He meant that I had "skills" as the teenagers like to say these days. When I humbly objected that I wasn't that good Joel made it clear that his compliment was sincere. Needless to say it was flattering and made me feel very good.

That exchange on Facebook started me thinking about confidence. How we gain it and also how we lose it.

When I was a young man I gained confidence in several areas. Working on cars, especially hot rods, driving race cars, outdoor skills as a boy scout and later competitive pistol shooting and building custom handguns. In the business world I developed my sales and project management skills. I found that if I put my mind to it and worked or practiced long enough I developed the skills which led to confidence in that area. I was and continue to be a very competitive person.
Confidence results when we work and practice at something until we know we are good at it. Right ?

One area that I lacked confidence was in physical confrontation. I wasn't a fighter. So, when I signed on as a bouncer it was with fear and anxiety. However, in Joel I had a great teacher and apparently I was a good student. So how does this relate to Parkinsons ?

One of the first things I noticed after I was diagnosed three years ago was a keen lack of confidence. The reason this is important is simple. Most people can see the physical affects PD has on a person very easily. But few can "see" the emotional affects. My wife easily understands my physical limitations but she struggles at times to even know about the battles within my mind much less how those battles might affect me. This is a glimpse into the mind of a PD patient on a topic that I feel sure we all deal with....erosion of confidence.

When a PD patient is under stress and the adrenlin kicks in most of the time the result is tremors or shaking. Physically uncomfortable, very visible, but what about the mental cost?
Well, I can only relate my own experience.

For me, in the beginning, I started to wonder how people viewed my shaking. If I had to "write up" an employee or even terminate one, would they view my tremors as weakness ? Would they think I was intimadated ? What about my wife ? Every couple disagrees now and then. If we were nagging at each other and you know you are going to shake....will she think I am about to lose my temper and attack her ? Or would she think I was about to have a heart attack ? You wonder. And when you wonder ...you begin to doubt....can I still manage people effectively ?
This issue pops up all the time. A simple battery installation. Obviously my skill with hand tools is no longer what it used to be. Do I do it anyway and hope the customer will understand the extra time it will take me ? Do I delegate it to one of my employees ? Will that employee view me as a lazy boss ? Resent me ? Think maybe I am no longer able to do my job ? You wonder . You begin to doubt. You start to lose the edge, the confidence.

Driving a car is more of a challenge now than a passion. The other night I ran up against a curb by accident. Probably wouldn't have happened four years ago. My wife said nothing. But I know what she was thinking and it hurt and made me angry all at the same time. Again, you wonder...how long before I shouldn't drive ? And you doubt. And day by day, little by little your confidence slips away without anyone but you seeing or knowing. It drives you ...insane at times. And other times it drives you to push harder, like that chain link fence around my yard that Mary said I couldn't put up. Did I ? Hell yes with a little help I did it my damn self. Nearly killed me but I did it. In those moments, when you triumph in spite of the disease, you swell with pride and confidence, but only briefly. Those moments are fewer and fewer now. And the wonder, doubt and erosion of confidence (which leads to self worth issues) creep in more and more.

Mary claims my only approach to fighting my PD is to look it in the face and say " I won't let this stop me from living my life " and mostly that has been the case. And that it is very important to me. She can plainly see the physical battles fought daily.

However, only I am privy to the many, many conversations with myself about wonder, doubt and confidence. Only I know how many times doubt or lack of confidence stops me or slows me every single day.

On the bright side, after three years I have learned that I can indeed still do most anything but slower and more cautious now. Mary has been wonderful, encouraging me most of the time even as I am sure she questions in her own mind.
Bryan, my grown son is a constant source of encouragement and help. He reminds me that I am Keith Lewis and I can do anything I set my mind to.
And Joel. Who reminded me that I am bad assed, or was....I had skills.
Some skills are still there , others , not so much. You won't see me throwing anyone out the door of the bar....
In closing, I want to share some things I learned as a bouncer:

1) Vomit is the most slippery substance in the universe. Mobil 1 synthetic oil most certainly must be made from recycled puke.
2) I hate stupid drunks, have no use for them.
3) A full nelson hold is of no use on anyone taller than you are. It will land you in the floor.
4)Bored bouncers will stoop to almost anything to instigate a small riot so we can have fun too.
5) There is no worse sound than someone's fist smashing someone's face. Over and over.
6) Drunks can find confidence in a bottle. It's not the real thing. But it's often fun to watch.
7) Break Stuff recorded by Limp Biskit will nearly always guarantee some bouncer fun !
8) Two women fighting are harder to break up and throw out than ANY four guys.
9) You can get the phone numbers of lots of women , they like bouncers.
10) Watch out for the quiet ones. The loud talkers are just that ....loud talkers.

Hope you enjoyed this one and maybe it helps someone underestand the battles of the mind......

Shaaky

2 comments:

Larry_Lewis said...

Keith,
Thanks for sharing. You did a good job explaining that. We'll talk again soon.
Larry

One Life said...

Thank you, Keith. I needed that. My 'strong silent guy' keeps so much of this inside him, I know. He shares some of it, but the rest I can only guess at. If I can understand where he's coming from and how he's feeling, I can adjust what I do to make life easier.

Sometimes it's the uncommunicated communication that is the most important.

By the bye - we as spouses, who live so close to the day to day physical struggles that you face, would never see your inner battles as weakness. Rather, it gives us a sense of awe and admiration that you do everything that you do (and continue to fight) with the cards you've been dealt. B amazes me on a daily basis, as I'm sure you amaze Mary.

Thank you for sharing!